wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Three Dots »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 4:05am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, Eigenray, SMQ, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr)
   Three Dots
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Three Dots  (Read 2192 times)
The_Godfather

Email

Three Dots  
« on: Mar 29th, 2005, 8:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Okay, now this riddle is supposed to be easy, but I can't figure it out!

You are wandering an unknown forest when you are captured by tiny forest people.  They keep calling you, "A smart person."  When you get to their camp, they sit you down with two other people and tell you that you will be competing to take over as the cheif of the forest people.

You are put in an equillateral triangle where each person can see the other two people.  The cheif then blindfolds the three of you and says, "I am going to put a green or red dot on each of your foreheads, and when I unblindfold you, if you see a green dot, raise your hand.

The cheif puts a green dot on all three foreheads and takes off your blindfolds.  He says, "If you know what color dot you have, tell me and tell me why.  The smartest person, you, says, "I have a green dot.  The reason I know this is....."

I can't figure this out!  Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 4:46pm by Icarus » IP Logged
Phade

Email

Re: Supposed to be easy, but I can't figure it out  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 9:02am »

This guy can see both other people's dots are red, and  they are both raising their hands.
IP Logged
Phade

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 9:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Whoa, sorry, I read that wrong.  I'll get back to you
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 9:23am »

If you had a red dot and the other two had a green dot; consider what either of them could figure out when everyone raises their hands.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Three Dots  
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 4:50pm »

Godfather, you have put in your support on some of William's other instructions, but you seem to have missed this one: "Please use meaningful titles".

It is helpful when reviewing the threads to have something that reminds you of the content of each thread before you open it. If we let people get away with it, half the threads in here would be named something like "HELP!" or "I can't solve this".
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 11:02pm »

Is it impossible to tell what color dot you have? It seems to be impossible to me. But, then these riddles usually do seem impossible.  

The two people in front of you have green dots.  
All three people raise their hands.  
This would happen whether you have a green dot or a red dot. So, there is no certainty. (is there?)

Okay, now I get it. The old I knew what you knew before you knew what I knew ploy.  

But, I think a better answer would be: "Well chief, you have only green paint on your finger, so you must have put green on everyone."
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 2:52pm »

To explain the solution: Suppose you had a red dot. Then the other two, upon seeing everyone raise their hands, would know immediately that they have green dots (for if you have a red dot, each would know that the only green dot the third guy could see would be the one on his forehead). Since neither immediately announces his color, you realize that they must not be able to make this deduction, and so it must be that you also have a green dot.

Now: let me give you this variant:

The chief (who has now learned how to spell his own title Wink) wants to select the most intelligent successor he can. He finds three likely candidates, and lets them know that he wants to find the most intelligent by a fair contest. He will blindfold each, then paint a red or green dot on each forehead. When he announces he is done, everyone is to remove their blindfolds, and raise their hands if they see a green dot. The first person to tell the color of their own dot, and give valid reasoning behind their choice, will be declared the winner.

(Note that in this version we are not told that the chief colors everyone green).

As the chief approaches one of the men to blindfold him, the man announces the color the chief will give him, and why. The chief declares that the man is correct and is the new successor.

What color did the man announce, and how did he know it before it was even painted on?
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2005, 2:57pm by Icarus » IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 4:51pm »

But, I think a better answer would be: "Well chief, you have only green paint on your finger, so you must have put green on everyone."  

Speaker: if the answer was that simple, it wouldn't be a riddle.  Don't post obviously irrelevant answers, please.  Thanks for your opinion, but please state your reasoning and make sure you have some. Tongue
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 5:53pm »

Isn't there some assumption as to how long it would take the others to have figured out their color?

If you like this riddle, there are several others here that are similar.  For example, 1 2 3 4 5
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:10pm »

Thanks for the advice Godfather. I will endeavor to limit my alternative answers to those that more closely approach equivalence to that answer which the riddler has in mind.  

Wait a minute, that means I would not be able to post humorous answers, or wild guesses. So, regardless of preceding statements, I refuse to take your advice. I will continue, in the spirit of "no answer is stupid" (a corrallary to "no question is stupid") to answer with any answer that I, and I alone, feel has merit, including but not limited to any tangential reference to just about anything on God's green earth and adjacent environs.
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:19pm »

WOW, speaker.  You must be incredibly high.  I now respect you  Angry
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:33pm by The_Godfather » IP Logged
The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:39pm »

These are all good answers (except the aforementioned) and I think there are more.  Anyone's consent logically, mathematically, ect.  Please, no crap intended to be funny just so you can laugh all by yourself.
IP Logged
TheGodfather234

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:52pm »

darnit grant you know thats all i'm good at!!!!!!! Sad Angry Cry Cry Cry Cry Undecidedsorry im rilly high now... like speaker!!! Grin
IP Logged
TheGodfather234

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:56pm »

Note to self: don't sniff markers...
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 11:59pm »

The contest is supposed to be fair.  It wouldn't be if the contestants didn''t all have the same color.  Seeing that the other 2 have a green dot, it is quite obvious that you also have a green dot.
IP Logged
The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 8:28am »

Thanks, Grimbol, but that answer has already been posted.  Keep in touch!  Grin
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 2:05pm »

Yeah, The_Godfother, I am just trying to find new variations to an old problem.

I'll try to pass by and have a look from time to time...
IP Logged
The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 2:14pm »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 2:05pm, Grimbal wrote:
I'll try to pass by and have a look from time to time...

Wink
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 6:53pm »

on Mar 30th, 2005, 11:59pm, Grimbal wrote:
The contest is supposed to be fair.  It wouldn't be if the contestants didn''t all have the same color.  Seeing that the other 2 have a green dot, it is quite obvious that you also have a green dot.

Sorry, but in my variation, the chief has not even gotten out his paints yet, much less placed dots of any color on the other two.  

on Mar 30th, 2005, 4:51pm, The_Godfather wrote:
Speaker: if the answer was that simple, it wouldn't be a riddle.  Don't post obviously irrelevant answers, please.  Thanks for your opinion, but please state your reasoning and make sure you have some. Tongue

If there is one thing that I will not tolerate, it is someone with an overinflated sense of their own worth who tries to prop up their ego by being insulting to others. Some of your posts here and elsewhere seem to push this boundary strongly, or cross it. Please keep your ego in check, and let others have their say, even if you do not like it.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2005, 6:54pm by Icarus » IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
TheGodfather234

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 7:52pm »

Anything Grant or I have said was merely a comment not meant to offend or hurt anyone's feelings.  As we are merely trying to get a point across that these are riddles, not simple concrete answers, we mean no damage.  If you think that this is not a good thing to do merely don't do it.  We do not do this for an ego trip or to feel above others, yet merely to express our opinions or that the answers are not one thougt lines.  If we offended you then we did not mean to.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 9:47pm »

Reading some of the other threads, I understand now. The problem is that you are young (though there are many others who are as young who participate in this thread, and a rare few who are younger). Therefore you really don't follow a lot of what is going on in our conversations. (I'm sorry that sounds insulting. It is not my intent to demean. It is simply a fact of life that at 12 and 13 you do not have the experience, the mindset, to understand why we say some of the stuff that we do. This is not something that you magically get at a certain age, either. As time goes by I still regularly discover that something I was sure I understood before has layers and meanings I had never noticed.)

You two are fixated on getting a specific answer, and react badly when someone does not provide it. But there are many aspects of any riddle, and we like to view things from other directions. Indeed, what you take as less than serious solutions, are in fact quite serious. Part of the problem is that you see only one answer, where as we see many that all work equally well. There is a thread somewhere around here on "Kindergarten Math" about a question that kindergartners are far more likely to answer correctly than college students. It is not that the kindergartners know something the college students do not. Rather the problem is, the college students have tools available that they turn to for this sort of problem that the kindergartners do not. But in this case, the standard tools are not what is needed. Since the kindergartners do not know them, they do not waste their time on them. Instead, they look at something else - which is exactly what the problem wants. So what is obvious to you may not be obvious to someone older who knows other possibilities.

Also, just because someone views your thread and doesn't post does not mean that they do not know the answer. I seldom answer riddles in the easy forum whether I know the answer or not. The only reason I made an exception for this one is that your original riddle has been posted and answered many times before. And I wanted to offer the variation, which is harder (though still easy in my estimation). Even easy puzzles usually wait a while before someone posts an answer. Other posters wait days and weeks before despairing that anyone will answer the question.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #21 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 6:55am »

Just to add on to what TheGodfather234 said, when I seem rude or egotistic, all I want is to get them into the argument mode.

When you feel someone as insulted your opinion or way of thinking, you almost always feel you must defend yourself.

The object is not to hurt, simply to create debate.  If everyone has an opinion, what better way to show it than a debate?  Apparently, the mods have misunderstood my reasoning.

Sad
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 12:34pm »

There is a difference between bickering, arguing, debating and discussing..
I prefer the latter myself, it allows you to explore a problem more fully, since you don't get stuck in the trenches..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 12:34am »

Here is an attempt at Icarus's variation.  

Assuming that the tribe believes that you are a very intelligent person (more intelligent than the other two candidates). Then, the test is to assess your abilities, not a test of who of the three is smartest.  
So, in order to get you to use the method of "I know something because I know that you do not know it." Which is the method required to answer the first question. And, therefor it is the method the chief wants you to demonstrate to prove your intelligence. Then, you could assume (determine) that the chief would paint a dot on your head that is a different color from the other two dots.  So, you could say to the chief.  
"You will put a dot that is different from both of the other people on my head."  

I do not know if this will hold up under scrutiny, but there you go.
IP Logged

::The Godfather::

Trapped inside the mystery of the eternal riddle

« Reply #24 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 8:07am »

on Apr 1st, 2005, 12:34pm, towr wrote:
There is a difference between bickering, arguing, debating and discussing..

It seems to me that towr and many others have blamed two people for one's mistakes.  TheGodfather234 has been, and deserved to be, blamed for many actions.  However, The Godfather merely acted in defense to yours and other mod's misdirected complaints toward him.  I believe it is not him, but you to blame for his taking leave.  You chased him away.  I am a tad sickened by your obvious self-involvement. Cry
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 8:08am by ::The Godfather:: » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »