wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - telekinesis »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 12:21am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Eigenray, towr, Grimbal)
   telekinesis
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: telekinesis  (Read 10935 times)
srn437

the dark lord rises again....

telekinesis  
« on: Sep 11th, 2007, 8:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some people believe it, some don't. There are also different beliefs about what abilities it includes. Let the debate begin with the next post.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: telekinesis  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 11:29pm »

Wouldn't it be more prudent to begin the debate with the first post?

There is no shred of evidence for telekinesis, nor any plausible mechanism that would allow it in modern science. I can't see why people insist on taking it seriously; it's great for fantasy and sci-fi stories, but it doesn't deserve serious consideration.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 11:44pm »

Erm... I thought we would leave this topic unanswered!! Or any of his questions in other threads!! Until he becomes legible, polite or grows up another 10 years or so!! This post will self destruct in about 12 hours!!!

Edit: The bomb squad came and diffused the self destruct sequence!!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 9:12am by Sameer » IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 2:57am »

Well, Sameer, since towr had already answered, let's invade the topic, and discuss something else !!  Tongue

Umm, let's see, how are things in the US, any Sept 11 memorial celebrations going on ?
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 2:58am by JiNbOtAk » IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 3:01am »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 2:57am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
Well, Sameer, since towr had already answered, let's invade the topic, and discuss something else !!  Tongue

Umm, let's see, how are things in the US, any Sept 11 memorial celebrations going on ?

Do you think they are actually celebrating or did it just come out badly? But yes, how does America remember September 11? For me, I celebrate my best friends B'day. So I guess I celebrate.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 3:05am »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 3:01am, mikedagr8 wrote:
Do you think they are actually celebrating or did it just come out badly?

Okay, so celebration isn't exactly the best word to use. Maybe commemoration ( whatever that means ) ?
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 3:07am »

Yes, that means to remember. That is the word I think you were after. In Australia, we don't exactly have the 'whole shebang' but at my school we did have a one minute of silence to commemorate the tragedy.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 3:16am »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 3:07am, mikedagr8 wrote:
In Australia, we don't exactly have the 'whole shebang' but at my school we did have a one minute of silence to commemorate the tragedy.

If 9/11 had happened in Australia (or anywhere else outside USA) do you think they would have minutes of silence in USA?
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 6:32am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 3:24am »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 3:16am, ThudanBlunder wrote:

If 9/11 had happened in Australia (or anywhere else outside USA) do you think they would have had minutes of silence in USA?

GOD NO!!! This is America, "All for us, and none for all". I don't believe that they honestly would if an event of similar tragedy occured outside America, they would give as much respect to those who lost their lives as other countries do.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 5:29pm by mikedagr8 » IP Logged

SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 5:13am »

If 9/11 had happened in Australia (or anywhere else outside USA) do you think they would have had minutes of silence in USA?

I'm only one U.S.-ian -- and one of the first to admit that many of my countrymen seem to be unreasonably insular (at best) -- but I would like to think that had an unprovoked attack on a similar scale happened in another country not normally associated with terrorist activity, that it would be commerated here.  Had Al Queda instead targeted Canary Wharf or World Square, for instance, I would like to think it would still be remembered here, yes.

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 6:10am »

Of course, it is not a Yes/No question and more a question of degree.
I personally suspect that 6 years on there would be few silent remembrances in US.    
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 6:33am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 9:14am »

Personally I celebrate my best friend's birthday too!! However it is a general day where most of the silence or mourning happens on news!! Maybe on Ground zero there might be more things going on! Most of the people went about their daily life!!!

If 9/11 had happened in Australia (or anywhere else outside USA) do you think they would have minutes of silence in USA?

I doubt it unless it had some drastic things. Terrorism is not new. There have been terror attacks by Al-Qaeda and other rogue terrorist groups since 80s as far as I can remember. As for e.g. how many here remember the date when around 200 people died in a bomb blast in Bali? Or Madrid Train bombing? Or Bombay Train Bombing?
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 9:20am by Sameer » IP Logged

--Bell, Eric Temple

Ghost Sniper
Senior Riddler

Do not hide. It is useless.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 11:07am »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 3:24am, mikedagr8 wrote:

GOD NO!!! This is America, "All for us, and none for all". I don't believe that they honestly would if an event of similar tragedy occured outside America, they would give a as much respect to those who lost their lives as other countries do.

it seems that Americans are pretty selfish in general... no offense to anyone though.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 11:12am by Ghost Sniper » IP Logged

*sob* I miss my mommy... *blows nose* huh, I'm on? oh right.

(thinks to self) Time for my speech to these college kids.

"Reason is more important than all emotions..."
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 12:24pm »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 11:07am, hiyathere wrote:

it seems that Americans are pretty selfish in general...

Not really. But they ain't called US for nothing. Anyway, a journalist once asked four students (from Europe, Africa, USA, and China) a simple question: "What is your personal opinion of the international food shortage?" Not one of them could provide an answer. They replied:

European student: What is a shortage?
African student: What is food?
USA student: What is 'international'?
Chinese student: What is a personal opinion?

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2007, 1:57pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Uberpuzzler

Sorry Goose, it's time to buzz a tower.

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 2:12pm »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 9:14am, Sameer wrote:
Maybe on Ground zero there might be more things going on!

You'd think so, but they only let a few people even approach Ground Zero and those were a select group of relatives of the people who died.  I've found that people in Manhattan barely even notice the passing of 9-11 anymore.  Maybe they want to forget, but it seems a little callous to me.
IP Logged

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #15 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 4:49pm »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 3:24am, mikedagr8 wrote:

GOD NO!!! This is America, "All for us, and none for all". I don't believe that they honestly would if an event of similar tragedy occured outside America, they would give a as much respect to those who lost their lives as other countries do.

Hey, the schools all had a moment of silence on the aniversary of the London train bombings. Admittedly, yes, we often focus on ourselves, but a fair majority of us actually care about what happens in the rest of the world, it is just the really extreme idiots who get on TV and such. Thank you guys for your support... I know people who lost family members in the attack and I know they appreciate your respect to. Very, very sad day, and some of the bravest people I've ever seen are the NYPD and the Firefighters who went in to rescue people even when they knew the towers were going to come down at any moment. RIP.
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
srn437

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 8:36pm »

on Sep 11th, 2007, 11:44pm, Sameer wrote:
Erm... I thought we would leave this topic unanswered!! Or any of his questions in other threads!! Until he becomes legible, polite or grows up another 10 years or so!! This post will self destruct in about 12 hours!!!

Edit: The bomb squad came and diffused the self destruct sequence!!  Roll Eyes

If this post self-destructs, I'm going to be the one to take it down. Anyway, in case you haven't found this link http://www.wingmakers.co.nz/Teleportation.html in a previously posted post, well here it is. Read it and begin the debate(about telekinesis, not 9/11).
IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #17 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 8:41pm »

Maybe you are confused!!

IP Logged

--Bell, Eric Temple

mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 8:46pm »

ROFL!!!  

Well, at least is demonstrates his powers. It is like the book, 'The Secret'. - Not 100% sure, but I think that was it.  
"You ask, you beileve, then you recieve from the old pedophile down the road". - The Chaser
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 8:48pm by mikedagr8 » IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #19 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 8:49pm »

ROFL? Have you people read the web site link(and its links)?
IP Logged
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 9:02pm »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 8:49pm, srn347 wrote:
ROFL? Have you people read the web site link(and its links)?

ROFL=Rolling on Floor Laughing

I looked at it, but when it said that an energy portal should look like the picture, well, shouldn't it be different for everyone? So there was no point continuing.
IP Logged

Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #21 on: Sep 13th, 2007, 12:35am »

srn347, I posted some questions relating to telekinesis in another thread which you seemed to ignore, so I'll post them again...

on Sep 11th, 2007, 12:14am, Sir Col wrote:
Just to clarify, psychokinesis is the process of manipulating matter by the power of the mind; such as, bending spoons, teleportation, and so on. Telekinesis is one aspect of psychokinesis which involves moving matter.  

srn347, I am genuinely interested in hearing a coherent response on this subject, so I would be interested in your thoughts on the following three questions relating to telekinesis...  

1) Think about a game of snooker. The blue ball moved because it was struck by the cue ball. The cue ball moved because it was struck by the cue. And so on. If the result of telekinesis is moving an object, then what is its immediate antecedent?  

2) If we trace back the chain of causes and effects, where did it originate? That is, what was the first occurrence of physical activity?  

3) How does the mind - the thought - span this divide?

I think you queried the word "antecedent". It means the event, or cause, that occurred immediately before. You also said, "The mind is what is used, but not so much thought." Would the thoughts not be necessary to at least initiate the process, and ultimately focus the "energy"? Otherwise people's subconscious minds would be causing telekinesis haphazardly and outside of our control.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Sep 13th, 2007, 5:22am »

How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand. Funny one I just recieved from friend.
IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #23 on: Sep 13th, 2007, 4:38pm »

Thoughts aren't usually used, one the other hand, visualization and stuff are.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #24 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 6:33am »

But where does your visualisation take place? In the mind? Is that not a thought?

How does this internal desire to move an object grow? Surely it must be conceived in your mind as you "think" about it, then where does it go to? How does this visualisation extend to interact with the target object? In other words, and back to my "chain of cause and effect" question, at what point does the visualisation first become physical so that it ultimately possess the capacity to move an object?
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »