wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Take over the world »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 6:44am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: SMQ, Eigenray, Grimbal, william wu, towr, ThudnBlunder, Icarus)
   Take over the world
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Take over the world  (Read 3205 times)
mfirmata

Don't read this

Take over the world  
« on: Sep 17th, 2008, 8:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I want to take over the world.  I'm not really sure why, or even what taking over the world really means.  

Do you have any ideas on where or how I should start?

There are some caveats; I don't necessarily want more responsibility for myself, or for people to die, or even be any less happy than they are right now.

The only thing I know for sure is that I want a palace somewhere nice.

Thanks.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Take over the world  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17th, 2008, 9:41am »

An economic takeover is probably the safest and most feasible approach. Earn so much money you can buy everyone out. Of course, once you have a few hundred million, you can already buy yourself a palace; you don't need to take over the world for that.

Another idea is a cultural takeover, but usually you need a country for that (it's what the US does, and what the Roman Empire did.) But perhaps if you can raise yourself to a cultural icon and have a long enough stream of new ideas that take hold, you might pull it off. As side effect you would get enough money to buy that palace, at least.  

I wouldn't try religious takeover, because that almost never ends well.  You'd almost certainly need to kill a lot of people to achieve total dominance (because the hard core of other religions won't convert). But, granted, you'll have that palace soon enough, you need only a few million followers if they're devoted enough (but it's not exactly taking over the world at that stage). It's also difficult to keep control over a religion, even if you start it yourself. And it requires an extraordinary amount of charisma.

A military takeover, while it might seem an obvious choice, is only slightly better than a religious takeover. People don't take kindly to invasion. And chances are you don't have the production capacity to overwhelm opponents such as the US (let alone the combined world). Building a secret army may give you the element of surprise, and the initial advantage in numbers. But if you don't win quickly, you'll be outproduced and driven back. And even if you do win, you will have to deal with subversive elements for years if not decades.

I suppose you could try to form a world government and get elected supreme leader; but now we're talking complete fantasy Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2008, 9:43am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2008, 1:36pm »

There is a simple trick.

Democracy.

Let's say you are part of a group of 9 people where every decision in taken democratically by the rule of majority.

You can form a group of 5 people (unknown to the 4 others) to take over the power:  The day before every vote, the 5 of you meet secretly and decide on the issue of the vote democratically.  Whatever the majority decides will be voted the next day.

Sometimes some in the group will vote against their opinion, but on the average, their decision power is increased to 1 voice out of 5 instead of 1 out of 9.  This arrangement is in the interest of every member of the group.

Then, within the group of 5, you form a smaller group of 3, unknown to the 2 others of the 5-group.  The 3-group meets secretly 2 days before the vote and decide democratically on the issue of the vote and that decision will be voted by all 3 during the meeting of the 5-group.  Now, your voice weights 1 in 3 instead of 1 in 5, but 1 in 5.

Now assuming you have a partner who agrees with you (maybe your wife or twin brother), the 2 of you can decide on the issue of the vote in the 3-group.  That result decides on the vote in the 5-group, which in turn decides the vote of the 9-group.

As you can see, the 2 of you can decide unilaterally AND democratically on every matter.

If you do this on 33 levels instead of just 3, you can control the decisions of about 8 billion people.  The decision being, for instance, whether all your needs should be taken care of like you are a living god.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2008, 1:49pm by Grimbal » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2008, 2:02pm »

Doesn't work well with secret-ballot voting though.
IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2008, 2:21pm »

Well, yes, it needs a bit of fair-play  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17th, 2008, 2:26pm »

Or you can marry Bill Gates.  And divorce afterward.

Of course, the question of whether you would be ready to marry Bill Gates for half of his fortune is probably a bit more difficult if you are a man.  And straight.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17th, 2008, 2:35pm »

on Sep 17th, 2008, 2:26pm, Grimbal wrote:
Or you can marry Bill Gates.  And divorce afterward.

Of course, the question of whether you would be ready to marry Bill Gates for half of his fortune is probably a bit more difficult if you are a man.  And straight.
Also, it bears consideration that he's already married; and disregarding that, he would probably have his lawyers draw up a prenup, meaning you'd get next to nothing at divorce.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18th, 2008, 8:18am »

on Sep 17th, 2008, 1:36pm, Grimbal wrote:
There is a simple trick.

Democracy.

[...]

If you do this on 33 levels instead of just 3, you can control the decisions of about 8 billion people.  The decision being, for instance, whether all your needs should be taken care of like you are a living god.

The big catch is that it only takes one inconveniently smart person to realise that their vote as part of the clique is actually worthless because the inner-clique always votes in lockstep, so, rather than trading a 1-in-9 vote for a 1-in-5 or 1-in-3, they're actually trading a 1-in-9 vote for complete disenfranchisement and suddenly the motivation for voting with the clique evaporates...
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18th, 2008, 8:21am »

And that why the first step in world domination is eliminating inconveniently smart people.  Wink
IP Logged

Roy42
Senior Riddler

ddhilltop2

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18th, 2008, 7:47pm »

Great, now we're all screwed, thanks a lot, rsmgrey! Angry
IP Logged

Regards,

≈Roy42
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18th, 2008, 10:35pm »

on Mar 17th, 2008, 3:26pm, rmsgrey wrote:
I'm also highly intelligent.

Wanna be in my gang? Roll Eyes
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Roy42
Senior Riddler

ddhilltop2

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28th, 2008, 7:55pm »

I do,
IP Logged

Regards,

≈Roy42
iono
Senior Riddler

dehydrated water....

C47v1u

« Reply #12 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 7:30pm »

it is destiny thst all the nations of earth become united. just watch sci-fi movies, you'll see.
IP Logged

So, if I help you, I'll get kicked for ksing, but if I don't, then I'll get kick for not helping...
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #13 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 11:05pm »

on Sep 28th, 2008, 7:55pm, Roy wrote:
I do,

Sorry, I never take people who do not refuse to join a gang that will accept them as a member.  Tongue

(Hey, I've just realized where the Groucho Club in London takes its name from.)

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008, 11:10pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Roy42
Senior Riddler

ddhilltop2

« Reply #14 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 4:51pm »

Very clever Wink Angry Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Regards,

≈Roy42
Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #15 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 8:13pm »

I Know how to hold the world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_(book)
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
wade32

If you spit in the wind, you'll get wet!

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16th, 2012, 7:26am »

Try a hostile takeover of Larry Page's toupee!!  I'm sure Google would pay a nice sum to have that back!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »