wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - spring cleaning? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:20am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, Icarus, Eigenray, william wu, ThudnBlunder, SMQ)
   spring cleaning?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: spring cleaning?  (Read 8548 times)
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Re: spring cleaning?  
« Reply #50 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 2:16am »

on Sep 25th, 2007, 2:04am, mikedagr8 wrote:
But now I truly am fed up with the sh*t he is posting.  

His last 10 posts seem to be reasonable.
Let's not stir things up unnecessarily, eh?
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #51 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 2:42am »

on Sep 25th, 2007, 2:04am, mikedagr8 wrote:
I personally have made a major effort (in my own opinion), and have cut down my baiting.

As I mentioned ealier, I was clearly not around when he was making awkward and antagonistic posts. But because I've seen nothing recently that fits this anti-social profile it would suggest that he has also made a major effort.

If as a result of this thread he reacted aggressively and unpleasantly then there would be just grounds for a ban/delete. However, he seems to have done the opposite and made a concerted effort. Call me an old softy, but I admire someone who can remain dignified in the face of such criticism; I don't think I would have handled a thread like this as well as he has. We all do regretable things, and if he wants to change his ways and make himself a part of this forum then we need to give him a second chance.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #52 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 2:51am »

OK, I was a little tempered after reading some of the things he has posted when trying to get down to the continuation of a thread.

Still, I won't say he hasn't improved, he has improved, no doubt. But I'm a little anxious to see what is being done.

I do believe that giving him increasing oportunities to change is a good thing, but at a certain point, there is no more chances that can be given. If a trained, and normally well behaved dog attacks someone, and is then retrained not to attack, but later on gores someone, the dog is put down. There are no exceptions.

I'm just wondering when is his last and final opportunity to redeem himself over, or is it an on-going thing.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #53 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 4:53am »

You can spot those of us who work with kids...

Sir Col, I was also absent at the start of the troubles, but spent a little while (upon my return) going through the saga.

I think Grimble put is best as "noisy", but in quite a startling sense. Much of the issue is the swift and terrible responses that members have used.
Swift and terrible in a few senses...
There are those of us who nobly tries to educate the fellow, but were essentially ignored at every turn.
Such effort, such finesse, such gilded postings to be scorned is indeed frustrating...
(Just think of the rougher GCSE kids)

Patience wore thin, and there was a spot of intellectual rapier-ing. Unfortunately, it went unnonticed by the intended target, and rapidly dissolved into International Chip Pan Fighting.

All in all, an undesirable situation not handled particularly well by us (the community).  

It's getting better,partly through srn being better, partly through some of the more eager members (you know who you are) managing to lend a bit of leniency.

one day at time, though.
  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2007, 7:01am by Noke Lieu » IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #54 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 6:55am »

on Sep 25th, 2007, 2:51am, mikedagr8 wrote:
If a trained, and normally well behaved dog attacks someone, and is then retrained not to attack, but later on gores someone, the dog is put down. There are no exceptions.

An unintentionally humorous analogy, but obviously srn347 has not yet been trained.
So I don't think it is fair to put him down just yet.
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #55 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 8:55pm »

on Sep 25th, 2007, 4:53am, Noke Lieu wrote:

All in all, an undesirable situation not handled particularly well by us (the community).  

On the contrary, I think we've been quite patient.
IP Logged

srn437

the dark lord rises again....

« Reply #56 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 8:57pm »

Double posting again? And you have the audacity to say that I need to be trained.
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #57 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:02pm »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 8:57pm, srn347 wrote:
Double posting again? And you have the audacity to say that I need to be trained.

Hehe... it's working!  Grin He can now spell "audacity"... who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Maybe for the next feat he could play dead? Kiss
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:03pm by ima1trkpny » IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #58 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:06pm »

Double? What are you whingeing about now, sonny? Anyway, you have famously proved that 2 = 1
IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #59 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:15pm »

Which means you quadruple posted! Anyway, moderators should know this.
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #60 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:21pm »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 9:15pm, srn347 wrote:
Anyway, moderators should know this.

I already know. Just wipe your snotty nose and behave yourself, that's a good boy.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:46pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #61 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:23pm »

Sometimes I wonder what logic gate you come from? Probably the NOT gate.
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #62 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:53pm »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 9:02pm, ima1trkpny wrote:

he could play dead? Kiss

.. his very next role. He'll be quite convincing, I assure you.    (said using James Mason's voice)

Yes, TnB, the community has be patient with this patient.  
I shamefully admit to gleefully checking out the responses to the wittering, and you have had some masterful replies.
The catch is though, that none of it seems to have worked. srn347 is still being frustrated and frustrating.  

Now that I think about it, I suspect that "noisy" isn't the best descriptor. Other members who have come and gone have fitted the "noisy" category better-  srn347 feels more... egregious, malicious and unrepentant in his posting. I just can't tell if it's intentional or not.

I mean look at that one above this... It's pathetic, acrimonous and above all unfunny.

As a friend of mine used to say- and srn347, this isn't an insult (more like advice)- don't get into a battle of wits when you're so obivously unarmed.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:55pm by Noke Lieu » IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #63 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 1:21am »

Oh, double posts. You mean you wouldn't do something hypocritical like this (reply 36 & 37)?

I ask again. What is being done. He has gone back to his old ways, and so something seriously must be done.

As suggested above, banning him would be helpful. I suggest IP + username. Save us the trouble of ever worrying who it is. I hope. Undecided
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2007, 6:47am by mikedagr8 » IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #64 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 3:30am »

on Sep 27th, 2007, 1:21am, mikedagr8 wrote:
I ask again. What is being done. He has gone back to his old ways, and so something seriously must be done.

With due respect, Mike, that's not your call.  You are a) relatively new here, and b) relatively young.

Despite the "vote" above leaning heavily to "For", several respected members made arguments for forbearance, and it seems they were sufficiently persuasive that none of the moderators has actually taken the step of contacting William yet -- I know I haven't.  If things continue as they have been, I'm sure one of us will send that email "soon enough".

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #65 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 3:39am »

Thankyou.
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #66 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 4:07am »

on Sep 27th, 2007, 1:21am, mikedagr8 wrote:

Oh, double posts. You mean you wouldn't do something hypocritical like this (reply 36 & 37)?
/

Yes, this sort of glitch tends to happen when someone sits there impatiently pressing the Refresh button every 10 seconds, to see if anyone has responded to their posts. It's no big deal. All he had to do was delete his original post and repost it right after mine.
IP Logged

Aryabhatta
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #67 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:11am »

Did anyone contact William yet? Or has the idea been dropped?
IP Logged
FiBsTeR
Senior Riddler

« Reply #68 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 7:14pm »

Odd, I don't usually check here and never saw this, but I'm all for a ban if there's still a vote; he's been given more than ample time to change his behavior.
IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #69 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:02pm »

When I wrote the above, having been up all night grading math problem sets, I found his particular brand of nonsense too infuriating to think rationally, so I basically wanted to get an idea of where people stood on the issue.  Now, I think I've just come to accept it as the cost of being on the internet.
IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #70 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:25am »

On the flip side, for those of you still wondering how it came to this, this thread is entirely typical of the kind of nonsense towr deleted.  As Londo Mollari once said: "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package; how very efficient of [him]." Roll Eyes

[edit]I'm also hoping it's just coincidence that we haven't heard from WTF since this post; if we're losing respected members of these forums over this teentwirp's ramblings I'm going to be seriously pissed off.[/edit]

--SMQ
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:49am by SMQ » IP Logged

--SMQ

mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #71 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:31am »

I think there may have been a better example than that, but is sums it up nicely.
IP Logged

Aryabhatta
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #72 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:34pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:02pm, Eigenray wrote:
When I wrote the above, having been up all night grading math problem sets, I found his particular brand of nonsense too infuriating to think rationally, so I basically wanted to get an idea of where people stood on the issue.  Now, I think I've just come to accept it as the cost of being on the internet.

I don't think we _have_ to bear that cost.

The cost of deleting his prolific rubbish is probably much more than the cost of just banning him.

Besides, I don't see how banning is "cruel". He still gets to browse the forums. He only does not get to pollute it. People have tried to talk sense into him many times, but he just does not listen. I think he is beyond repair (others might not agree with this).

I am completely sober and I am FOR banning. I think we have enough grounds to do just that.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:39pm by Aryabhatta » IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #73 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:30pm »

I seriously think most, if not all, of the members here are patient and understanding. If anything, it takes quite a bit to rile any of us up. ( most of us try to brush off 'offensive' posts in a humourous way. Grimby is a master of this. )  

However, when a certain member kept on posting annoying, disrespectful remark, without considering the effects on  other members of the forum, then something definitely needs to be done. As Eigenray pointed out, it is something that we have to bear, being on the net. To me, a bearable member would someone like puzzlecracker, or maybe thecow135 / CowsRUs. srn347 had gone beyond that, some of his comments had members trying hard not to bang their keyboard on their monitor, wishing it was his head.  

Granted, there had been some improvements in the quality of his posts ( albeit reminding, cajoling, and in some cases, out right threatening ), but it had gone back to the same old pattern. Most regulars had voiced out their opinion, either for banning him, or simply deleting the annoying posts would suffice. ( ignoring the dude is just not working ) I, for one, am for banning, and not just because of his annoying post. SMQ's post regarding WTF's MIA is a good example of the long term effects of this problem.

Again, mods, we leave it in your hands to take the best course of action.  

Oh, and we wouldn't mind it in the least if you guys could share with us the decision that you guys came up with.  Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:31pm by JiNbOtAk » IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
sm347

« Reply #74 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:11pm »

But if you ban me, because i am so clever, I will find many more ways of showing you that I am smarter than u.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »