wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - The dead rabbit's grave »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 5:10pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   wanted
(Moderators: towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Icarus)
   The dead rabbit's grave
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The dead rabbit's grave  (Read 11263 times)
Thomas

Email

The dead rabbit's grave  
« on: Feb 8th, 2005, 3:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm reading this English play i'm trying to translate, and the man in the play just found out his old lover  he hasn't seen for a year, is pregnant. He is dumbfounded.

She: Are you okay, pal?
He: I'm fine. I'm a little surprised.
She: You're surprised. I insisted on visiting  the dead rabbit's grave!

What on earth does she mean by that? Google has some links to the expression 'dead rabbit's grave', but I still can't figure out what is meant by this.

Anyone who can help me out here?

Thomas
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: The dead rabbit's grave  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 6:54am »

Is there any more context? Because it's hard to see even how she said it.

And, please don't feel the need to open a new thread for every question about this play. It's perfectly all right to reuse your old thread. Preferable even. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Thomas

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:02am »

There's no more context reffering to the matter, since they switch to another. But I was thinking that the phrase 'You're surprised. I insisted on visiting the dead rabbit's grave!' must refer in some way to her feeling much more surprised - being the one pregnant - than him. Haven't figured out how, though.

Thomas.

IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:09am »

Well, I would hazard to guess it would be something that normally precludes getting pregnant.. Contraceptive or other. But which, and how, I don't know..
Is it a British or an American play? And where are the characters from? (Might it be something like cockney rhyming slang for instance?)
IP Logged

Thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:19am »

It's an American play, called 'Same Time, Next Year' by Bernard Slade. It played for several years on Broadway, back in the seventies. In 1978 it was made into a movie starring Ellen Burstyn and Alan Alda. It is set in California and the two people in the play are both American.
So I'm afraid that doesn't bring us any closer to the dead rabbit's grave, does it.
IP Logged
asterix

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I assume it refers to the fact that at one time they used rabbits to test for pregnancy (at least I saw them do that on an episode of M*A*S*H). After an injection of the woman's blood the rabbit had to be dissected to examine its ovaries to see if the right hormones were present.
Visiting the rabbit's grave would mean demanding proof that she really had the test and she really is pregnant.
IP Logged
asterix

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:29am »

A little mistake; it was injected with her urine, not her blood. Instead of googling "dead rabbit's grave." Try googling "the rabbit died." You'll find plenty of pregnancy references.
IP Logged
Thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:31am »

That's a plausible explanation, yes. I was also thinking about contraceptives. The scene in which the lady mentions the dead rabbit is set in 1961. Maybe in those days they didn't have latex yet for manufaturing condoms. I've read somewhere that back in the first days of condoms they used pig bladders to do the job. Maybe in the US they used rabbits.... Just a wild guess.
IP Logged
asterix

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:32am »

Oh, and contrary to the MASH episode, they didn't examine the rabbit's ovaries. The pregnancy hormone is fatal to rabbits, so if the rabbit dies she's pregnant, if it lives she's not.
IP Logged
Thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:52am »

Well done, Asterix. I found the answer thanks to you. The rabbit test as a pregnancy test is an urband leggend. It's all explained at http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/rabbit.htm  
And what a coincidence, I mentioned Allan Alda playing in the movie that was made of the play, and on this site they mention that it was on an episode of M*A*S*H* that Radar (remember the funny little guy) explained how the rabit test worked, since Hot Lips thinks she's pregnant.  Well, thanks everybody for helping me out on this.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 8:03am »

Ah, makes sense now.. She wanted to make sure the rabbit really died.

It's similar to the frog-test than.. (I think that's also better known in dutch Tongue)
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #11 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 4:38pm »

You people are too young!Sad "The rabbit died" has long been a cliche for pregnancy exactly because of the test (which, as snopes and M*A*S*H both point out, was always fatal for the rabbit since it required extraction of the ovaries). I guess that advancement is leaving this cliche behind.

on Feb 8th, 2005, 7:31am, Thomas wrote:
I was also thinking about contraceptives. The scene in which the lady mentions the dead rabbit is set in 1961. Maybe in those days they didn't have latex yet for manufaturing condoms. I've read somewhere that back in the first days of condoms they used pig bladders to do the job. Maybe in the US they used rabbits.... Just a wild guess.

No. latex - a form of rubber - has been around for centuries, and used for condoms for nearly as long, I'm sure.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 4:28am »

on Feb 8th, 2005, 8:03am, towr wrote:
Ah, makes sense now.. She wanted to make sure the rabbit really died.

It's similar to the frog-test than.. (I think that's also better known in dutch Tongue)

Yeah, except the rabbit test approximately takes 6 weeks(while other resources yield a shorter period, I don't know), while the frog test would give the result in under a day.

I won't post my resource, most of you probably fail to understand dutch anyway, I assume.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »