wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Where am I? - In India »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:57pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what am i
(Moderators: Icarus, towr, william wu, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, SMQ)
   Where am I? - In India
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where am I? - In India  (Read 475 times)
jollytall
Senior Riddler

Where am I? - In India  
« on: Oct 4th, 2006, 1:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Following the example in Japan and the first three legs of our journey in Great Britain,  Hungary and  Egypt, now I moved on to the subcontinent.

First postcard:
Please write to me to 110 xxx.

Second postcard:
My neighbour is ten times taller than me.

Third postcard:
I am not at the north pole.

Fourth postcard:
Who lives in room #26?

So, let's meet.

P.S. To make it more difficult for the enemy agents (and those don't have the solution) and to have a bit more fun, let's return to the absolute GPS positions instead of a descriptive solution?
IP Logged
TomC588

Re: Where am I? - In India  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 10:40am »

N28 35 36.0 E77 15 02.0
IP Logged
jollytall
Senior Riddler

« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 12:42pm »

Maybe next time.

By the way, what is that nice building in that lovely park?
IP Logged
jollytall
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19th, 2006, 11:37pm »

I know we had some technical difficulties last weeks, but still I feel very lonely.

I am really disappointed that many clever people cannot find me, while I though it was so easy that even someone as simpleminded as Pooh would have found me quickly.
IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 11:11am »

Even though i am originally from India I am having hard time figuring this out. I know the first clue points to Delhi because the numbers are the beginning of zip code.. For two my only speculation is you are talking about Qutub Minar as the neighbor. I have no idea about 3rd and 4th clues. i know it is not Taj Mahal because it is located in Agra.
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
jollytall
Senior Riddler

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 12:08pm »

off

I am a bit puzzled on you mentioning Taj Mahal. It sounds like you think that someone outside India can only think of it when has to name a great place. I think it is one of the typical pre-concept re the knowledge of others (although probably often true as well).

I had the chance to travel a bit in India, and I can tell you, that while I really liked Agra (and there not only the Taj Mahal but also the Fort), I can name a dozen of other places too, that were - although different in nature and reputation, sometimes totally unknown and unseen even by most of the Indians - equally amazing and astonishing.

Just before anyone misunderstands - this off topic comment is indeed intended to be an honest tribute to India, rather than a comment on the Taj Mahal, your thoughts on the riddle or anything else.

on
IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 1:16pm »

Well sorry i didn't mean that you only knew about Taj Mahal.. it was my ramblings on solving this riddle.. there are about 180 hisotrical structures in Delhi... lot of them from Mughal Empire.. my guesses are shuffling between mughal structures with policital structures...
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
Astrix

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 3:53pm »

The riddle seemed too vague to even try to solve before, but with the new hints i came up with
28o 31' 28" N by 77o 11' 5" E
It is
an iron pillar, 23 feet tall, 1600 years old, one tenth the height of the Qutub Minar.
I assume the North pole reference simply refers to it being a pole, while room 26 refers to the table of elements.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2006, 3:55pm by Astrix » IP Logged
jollytall
Senior Riddler

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 11:25pm »

It was nice meeting you Astrix there.

The additional hint was indeed some help, still I think it did not carry significant new information. Sameer's thoughts were valuable, although the first one was one Google click away from you. Re the second one, I am not sure how Sameer got to Qutub Minar, but it was even more surprising that once having that as a neighbour, how he missed the solution.

But, I am sorry to tell you that I could not stay in India much longer, now I am on my way to Malaysia and will send my cards soon. So pack your suitcases and get ready to follow me there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »