wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Woman on a Bridge »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:13am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: Eigenray, william wu, towr, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, SMQ)
   Woman on a Bridge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Woman on a Bridge  (Read 2130 times)
TheGodfather234

Email

Woman on a Bridge  
« on: Mar 30th, 2005, 5:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

In WWII there was a bridge over a ravine between Switzerland and Germany.  There was a sentry set up in a sentry post on the German side.  He came out every 3 minutes to check on the bridge and he was ordered to order anyone coming from Switzerland to go back and to shoot anyone trying to escape from Germany, unless they had a signed document or noterization.
A woman desperatley needed to get to Switzerland, but did not have a pass.  She thought she could try to run across but even doing so would take 5-6 minutes.  There was no hiding spot on the bridge, but she knew how she could get across, and successfully did.  How? Huh
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2005, 6:25pm by TheGodfather234 » IP Logged
SMQ
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Woman on a Bridge  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 6:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

She

ran part way across, starting just after the guard makes his check, then just before his next check began to walk back toward Germany.  The guard, assuming she was coming from Switzerland, turned her "back", thus completing her escape.

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 6:56pm »

Nice job, SMQ.  That is
correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct! correct!
IP Logged
TheGodfather234

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 6:57pm »

OMG!!! SOMEONE FINALLY GOT THAT RIGHT... AMAZING!  TRY MY OTHERS FOR MORE CHALLENGES.
CONGRATS!
OMG!!! SOMEONE FINALLY GOT THAT RIGHT... AMAZING!  TRY MY OTHERS FOR MORE CHALLENGES.
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
CONGRATS!
IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:11pm »

Just FWIW, though I'm not a mod it looks to me like most of this crop of riddles probably better belong in What Happened than Easy...  Don't be too surprised if Icarus or some other mod moves them in the next day or two.

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:42pm »

But, quite logically, this is an easy riddle.  Though it can be catagorized more than one way, that doesn't mean it should belong in a particular one of the two specifications.  I respect Icarus, and I think he might just understand my angle.
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:58pm »

Yet it is a duplicate, it is a "what happened". The one I saw earlier was in "what happened".

I tracked it down using the search string "Switzerland". Came form the late great maryl. Or maybe it was me that was late- maryl stopped posting just before I arrived here.

The fact that it is an easy "what happened" doesn't alter where it belongs.  
Easy was setup for  Maths based yet easy puzzles. There is a guide somewhere for how to fit riddles, but I forget where.  
A recent thread started in FAQ shows this.

Otherwise you coudl say that this is a "what am I" puzzle- there was a strategy used to outwit the guard. what was it?

I am bad though- I tend to use Easy as a dumping ground- ones that don't fit nicely anywhere. Why? Because its the one most folks read, I think.

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2005, 8:06pm by Noke Lieu » IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 9:00pm »

I was crossing a really narrow bridge the other day when a completely naked young lady came running towards me. Well, I didn't know whether to bar her way or toss myself off!

Cheesy

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2005, 9:02pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 9:26pm »

on Mar 30th, 2005, 7:42pm, The_Godfather wrote:
 I respect Icarus, and I think he might just understand my angle.

And if he doesn't, you two had better 'go to the mattresses'!
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2005, 12:14am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 8:35am »

Grrr.... Angry
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 9:12am »

on Mar 30th, 2005, 7:58pm, Noke Lieu wrote:
Easy was setup for  Maths based yet easy puzzles.
Not cessarily math-based, but those that require little to no math/logic. I think the main site has descriptions of the classes of riddles.

Quote:
There is a guide somewhere for how to fit riddles, but I forget where.  
[quote]A recent thread started in FAQ shows this.
Yes, a thread started by The Godfather  Roll Eyes
 Where do you post new riddles?

Basicly, try to fit it in a specialized class first, and otherwise in easy/medium/hard
But we won't hunt you down and kill you if you don't. (Because we're too lazy.)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 2:12pm »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 9:12am, towr wrote:
Basicly, try to fit it in a specialized class first, and otherwise in easy/medium/hard
But we won't hunt you down and kill you if you don't. (Because we're too lazy.)

Yeah, unless you leave a crypted message that leads to a grotto with 2 dragons at a junction and one of them is a liar.  Or something like that.  Wink

But then, did anybody bother to free April when she was kidnapped?  Sad
IP Logged
The_Godfather

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 2:36pm »

Let's get off the "where to put this riddle" topic (which, by the way, belongs in another forum itself) and start guessing and asking questions about the riddle.  It wouldn't be fair for me to, however, because TheGodfather234 already told me the answer.

Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children
IP Logged
Don Corleone

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 7:11pm »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 2:36pm, The_Godfather wrote:
Let's get off the "where to put this riddle" topic (which, by the way, belongs in another forum itself) and start guessing and asking questions about the riddle.  It wouldn't be fair for me to, however, because TheGodfather234 already told me the answer.

Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children Wow, scholars can be such children

Shh... quiet kid, when elders are talking. Go read this thread again and try to understand this time.
IP Logged
TheGodfather234

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 8:21pm »

Hey you know you need to keep your mouth shut.   The_godfather and I are 13 and 12 (me being the youngest).  Don't criticize us because we are right, ok? I will post riddles in the discussion I feel necsessary.  Look we know your a reject, but you don't have to make fun of seventh graders to get an ego trip.  I'm really sorry society has deemed you an outcast, but don't take it out on us.  Blame Flanders.
IP Logged
Don Corleone

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 9:59pm »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 8:21pm, TheGodfather234 wrote:
Hey you know you need to keep your mouth shut.   The_godfather and I are 13 and 12 (me being the youngest).  Don't criticize us because we are right, ok? I will post riddles in the discussion I feel necsessary.  Look we know your a reject, but you don't have to make fun of seventh graders to get an ego trip.  I'm really sorry society has deemed you an outcast, but don't take it out on us.  Blame Flanders.

Such a sweet kid  Kiss
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 10:13pm »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 8:21pm, TheGodfather234 wrote:
 Blame Flanders.

Eh? What has a poppy covered field got to do with this? Roll Eyes
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 1:32am »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 2:12pm, Grimbal wrote:
But then, did anybody bother to free April when she was kidnapped?  Sad
I think somebody got round to it eventually.

on Mar 31st, 2005, 2:36pm, The_Godfather wrote:
Let's get off the "where to put this riddle" topic (which, by the way, belongs in another forum itself) and start guessing and asking questions about the riddle.
SMQ already gave the answer, and you said it was right, so what more can you ask for?
*offers a cookie*
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2005, 1:43am by towr » IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 6:23pm »

on Mar 30th, 2005, 7:42pm, The_Godfather wrote:
I respect Icarus, and I think he might just understand my angle.

Sorry, but consistency won out over other considerations. Previous versions of this puzzle were placed here.  

Personally, it really isn't the sort of puzzle "What happened" was originally intended for - the type where you are given a scenario and expected to ask questions of the proposer to gain additional information. So I agree with you that it might be better to have left it in "Easy". But it seemed preferable to have all versions of the puzzle in the same forum. And it was easier to move yours than to hunt up the others and move them. Sometimes I am just too lazy. Sad
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
TheGodfather234

Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 6:42pm »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 10:13pm, Noke Lieu wrote:

Eh? What has a poppy covered field got to do with this? Roll Eyes

The Simpsons, genius.  Just look at my icon.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 7:05pm »

Here I thought you were going to wise up and stop being a jerk, but you just can't seem to cut it. Listen, kid, if you can't be polite in answering other peoples innocent questions, there are steps than can be taken...

You may want to consider that, just possibly, "The Simpsons" does not form the center of other people's universes that they should know everything about it. By the way, did YOU understand Noke Lieu's reference? It is of far greater significance than a cartoon show.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #21 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 10:53pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't flanders the name of a place in belgium, where this major war happened ? ( My world history need some major tuning ). Anyway, I still don't get that poppy field part.  Huh
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 7:24am »

on Apr 1st, 2005, 10:53pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't flanders the name of a place in belgium, where this major war happened ?
Yep. 'The Great War' (WW1), which of course wasn't limited to Belgium. But it was pretty fierce there.
Flanders is roughly the upper left halve of Belgium. Roughly the part where they speak Dutch (just like we do in the Netherlands).
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 1:00pm »

"Flander's Field" is the name (in English) of a graveyard where many soldiers who were killed in the region during WWI were buried. The cemetary is famous for being covered in poppies (a type of flower).
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »