Undergraduate Geology Field Areas

By William|November 17, 2015|Uncategorized|0 comments

-This project was completed for Exercise 9: Web Mapping-

Overview

I used this project to create a personally-useful map of places I have done field work. This map pinpoints the various filed areas I worked during my undergraduate career and gives some pop-up data on the Berkeley Earth and Planetary Science course  and what was studied at each site. Since Geologic field work almost necessarily covers substantial areas in the field, the pinpoints are general locations and access points. Potential additions could be polygons delineating mapped areas, points for real-life access points, and possibly even paths walked in person.

This map uses pop-ups to display attribute data from each point and integrates two buttons to zoom to either California or Turkey, depending on the interests of the viewer. There is also a button for finding the coordinates of the center of the viewed map.

A benefit of using the GeoJSON format for creating the spatial data and then mapping with leaflet is the simplicity of adding new data to the file my html script references. To update the map, I just need to go back to the .js file containing my locations and their attributes, add new locations or edit data, save the output, and then upload the new file to the same location, and the script will work just the same.