We are currently accepting submissions for the Spring 2023 edition.
Papers to be considered for the Spring 2023 edition must be submitted by February 15, 2023.
Guidelines for Authors
Clio’s Scroll welcomes submissions from undergraduate students and recent graduates, within three years of graduation from any university, including international ones. The submission must have been written while an undergraduate, and we do not accept papers written while a high school or graduate student. The editors look for articles that contribute to historical knowledge with new content and original interpretations. Research papers between 20-50 total pages (including title page and bibliography) from all universities, history courses, and historical areas of focus are welcome. For UC Berkeley students, this especially includes papers from History 103 classes and particularly History 101 theses. Papers from other disciplines are also welcome, so long as they are primarily historical in nature and focus–we will reject your paper if history is not the main component.
No previously published articles are accepted. If your paper is under review by another journal, we ask that you let us know in your email.
Please email your completed paper to email@example.com. In the subject of your email, please put “Journal Submission”. In the body of your email, simply provide us with your full name, year, major(s), and your university name. All papers are subject to the follow additional requirements to ensure consistency and a prevent bias during the selection process:
- Papers should be in Word format, in 12 point Times New Roman font with 2.0 line spacing.
- Papers should contain Chicago Style 17th edition footnotes (or endnotes) and a correctly formatted bibliography. Please note the small change in guidelines for Chicago Style 17th edition. The biggest change is that “ibid” is no longer used.
- Primary and secondary sources should be separated in the bibliography.
- The paper should be cleared of all mentions of the author’s name. This will assist in retaining the anonymity of the editorial process.
- Please submit no more than one paper per issue.
- Any paper under 15 pages or way over 50 pages (including the bibliography and any images) will be automatically disqualified and not considered, so please be sure your paper falls within this range before submitting.
- Your paper should be accompanied by a cover page that includes the title of your paper, and “Clio’s Scroll Submission Fall 2020.”
- We require an abstract (100-150 words) as well as up to five keywords that summarize the main content/argument of the article to assist editors in the review process. We kindly suggest that students verify all statistics, quotations, notations, versions of proper names, and transliterations before they submit essays for consideration.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We look forward to reading your submission!