wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - women - big problem »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:01pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: Icarus, Grimbal, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, william wu, towr)
   women - big problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: women - big problem  (Read 29016 times)
Jigsaw

Email

Re: women - big problem  
« Reply #150 on: Jun 21st, 2008, 10:21pm »

Found this link in an article in slashdot and thought it'd be relevant to this topic.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2008, 10:34pm by jagatsastry » IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #151 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:11pm »

on Feb 7th, 2005, 10:42pm, Sergey Brin wrote:
I am 23 years old now and have been trying to date a number of women, but always managed to screw up along the way. I used to attribute that the field my study (cs/applied math), stutterness, etc. Don't get me wrong, - I am good looking guy; fairly cultured etc.,  What is the way to get successive with female type? tips, advices suggestions will be highly appreciated.  

You mustn't forget that when all is said and done, at the end of the day one in the bush is worth two in the hand.   Grin

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:14am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #152 on: Jul 8th, 2008, 12:10pm »

Message to Sergey Brin

Quote:

I am 23 years old now and have been trying to date a number of women, but always managed to screw up along the way. I used to attribute that the field my study (cs/applied math), stutterness, etc. Don't get me wrong, - I am good looking guy; fairly cultured etc.,  What is the way to get successive with female type? tips, advices suggestions will be highly appreciated.  

Be curious. Women love to talk. Develop the art of curiosity. So, ask good questions, and they'll open up. I don't mean deep intellectual questions. I mean ask questions about the things they're interested in.

Fake sincerity if you have to. I learnt that from 2 sources:

(1) A used-car salesman who once told me : "Fake it until you make it"

(2) A laughter yoga guru: it's laughing for no reason at all. The mind cannot tell a pretend laughter from a genuine laughter. And it produces the same benefits.

Be able to laugh at yourself in conversation with women. Women love a guy who can tease himself and doesn’t himself and life too seriously. There are lots of guys out there who take themselves too seriously. It's an EGO trip. They come across as boring. They walk around as if their sh*ts doesn't stink. But it does stink. Big Time.

And, listen. Don't talk at all. Let them do all the talking. If you are a good listener,you'll come across as a good conversationalist. Let them shine, let them be the center of stage. And, if she is hot and you want to have sex with her, then laugh at her jokes.
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #153 on: Jul 8th, 2008, 12:56pm »

on Jul 8th, 2008, 12:10pm, BenVitale wrote:
Message to Sergey Brin
I doubt he'll be back after three and a half years to read it.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #154 on: Jul 8th, 2008, 3:56pm »

Oh, I wasted a post.  It's just the previous post made by ThudanBlunder mentioned Sergey Brin's message.
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #155 on: Jul 8th, 2008, 4:12pm »

on Jul 8th, 2008, 3:56pm, BenVitale wrote:
It's just the previous post made by ThudanBlunder mentioned Sergey Brin's message.

Yeah, but I made my post because he has not been around for more than three years. LOL
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
puzzlecracker
Senior Riddler

Men have become the tools of their tools

« Reply #156 on: Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:22pm »

on Jul 8th, 2008, 12:56pm, tow"r wrote:

I doubt he'll be back after three and a half years to read it.  Roll Eyes

You never know... After all, he got married not so long ago, I assume our posts helped:   http://valleywag.com/tech/wedding-announcements/sergey-brin-and-anne-woj cicki-260039.php

On the other hand, three and a half years, wow -- time passed by really quickly -- at the time, I was looking for my first full-time job.....  

I am starting to think that death is a corner away... and embrace it...  

Do you guys have that?

and all of you, go solve my graph problem in cs section.

« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2008, 5:41am by puzzlecracker » IP Logged

While we are postponing, life speeds by
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #157 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 12:24pm »

I wonder whether or not any of you have tried/experimented with mathematical models when seeking a relationship with the opposite sex?

IP Logged

pex
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #158 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 12:57pm »

on Jul 25th, 2008, 12:24pm, BenVitale wrote:
I wonder whether or not any of you have tried/experimented with mathematical models when seeking a relationship with the opposite sex?

No - and I don't think it would work. Do you believe that love is something that should be approached rationally?

* tries very hard to avoid bad "model" pun *
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #159 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 3:11pm »

on Jul 25th, 2008, 12:57pm, pex wrote:
* tries very hard to avoid bad "model" pun *
Why fight it?

on Jul 25th, 2008, 12:24pm, BenVitale wrote:
If I knew any mathematical models, and they'd let me; I'd be up for a little experimenting; wink wink nudge nudge Wink
Of course, you have to wonder what kind of relation we'd have; it might lack symmetry and not be an equivalence relation; it might even lack reflexivity and just be transitive.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2008, 3:12pm by towr » IP Logged

pex
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #160 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 3:26pm »

on Jul 25th, 2008, 3:11pm, towr wrote:
If I knew any mathematical models, and they'd let me; I'd be up for a little experimenting; wink wink nudge nudge Wink
Of course, you have to wonder what kind of relation we'd have; it might lack symmetry and not be an equivalence relation; it might even lack reflexivity and just be transitive.

You probably know this one, but anyway...
IP Logged
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #161 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 3:40pm »

How about

Mathematics, marriage and finding somewhere to eat  

http://plus.maths.org/issue3/marriage/index.html

Optimal stopping  

http://plus.maths.org/issue3/puzzle/stopping/index.html

I've just discovered this article, and I'm reading it now. What do you guys think of this?
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #162 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 4:03pm »

on Jul 25th, 2008, 3:40pm, BenVitale wrote:

I've just discovered this article, and I'm reading it now. What do you guys think of this?

Same as we thought every time it has been on the sit. Tongue
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #163 on: Jul 26th, 2008, 8:26am »

on Jul 25th, 2008, 3:40pm, BenVitale wrote:
Optimal stopping  

It's an interesting mathematical puzzle, but it's not practically useful in the setting they use in the puzzle.
For one thing, most of the time, your future partner has to choose you as well. So in fact you should not try to find the best partner overall, but the best one that'll settle for you. Another thing is that reality partner choice is rarely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity; people don't drop off the face of the earth while you talk to someone else in the room.
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #164 on: Jul 26th, 2008, 1:46pm »

I see your point.

Let's observe the dating game:

You could either choose someone too early, thus making a decision without checking other options, or run the risk of waiting too long, thus decreasing the pool, end up with fewer candidates.

Both strategies are risky. I thought the optimal stopping time could help us devise a better strategy.
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #165 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 11:48am »

I'm still curious about finding mathematical models for love, relationships. I found the following that I want to share with you:

The economics of love: While the study of economics may not be warm and fuzzy, its lessons just might apply to love.

8 things to keep in mind to reduce risk in your romantic investment

- Returns in love are roughly proportional to the amount of time and devotion invested.  
- High-quality bonds consistently yield more return than junk -- and so it is with high-quality love.
- Research pays off.  
- In every long-term romantic situation, returns are greater when there is a monopoly.  
- The returns on your investment should at least equal the cost of the investment.
- Long-term investment pays off.  
- Realistic expectations are everything.
- When you have a winner, stick with your winner.

To summarize: Go for high quality -- and if you find yourself with a winner, stick with it. Or as Stein puts it, "They say that falling in love is wonderful, and that the best is falling in love with what you have."  

Read Ben Stein's full article here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/business/13every.html?em&ex=121618 0800&en=313397ee5ad38176&ei=5087%0A

IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #166 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 12:25pm »

Has he done any research to back up those platitudes?

And its a bit selective isn't it. I mean, with stocks the motto is diversify to spread you risk; don't bet it all on one horse. And while returns are best when you have a monopoly, returns are also better if you have more than one customer.
Applying economics to love is lunacy.
IP Logged

Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #167 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 5:50pm »

that being said, there is the famous likening of sex to banking-
After withdrawl, you lose interest.
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
puzzlecracker
Senior Riddler

« Reply #168 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 6:29pm »

Guy's have anyone thought/knowof the fate of original poster, Sergey Brin?  Is he married, single,  dead, etc.?  

He asked the question on Feb 7, 2005...and no one heard from him ever since....
IP Logged

teekyman

« Reply #169 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 5:46pm »

Theres no way that guy was actually Sergey Brin, was it?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #170 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 12:36am »

About a one in six billion chance, I'd say.
IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #171 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 9:58am »

That one, it would be one in 10100.  Wink
IP Logged
puzzlecracker
Senior Riddler

« Reply #172 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 2:42pm »

Hey team,  

For awhile now,  we haven't touched the subject on how to improve a skill of attracting the opposite sex.  Let's resume it.... I will soon post  an absolutely necessary material to become better with women, and, pretty much guarantee hooking up as soon as you deem necessary --- you hear me correctly, men, it will be YOU in charge when and how you want to hook up, same applies of the opposite sex....stay  tuned!

IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #173 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 3:12pm »

Any person that had the ultimate skill in attracting a mate would have better things to do at night than share this secret. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #174 on: Mar 24th, 2009, 7:31am »

on Mar 23rd, 2009, 3:12pm, towr wrote:
Any person that had the ultimate skill in attracting a mate would have better things to do at night than share this secret. Roll Eyes

Unless that's one of the steps...

You too can attract your perfect mate. I didn't think it was possible until it happened to me. Remember, friend, you must pass this message on. Moe in Springfield didn't pass it on, and all his relationships failed. Homer passed the message on and has been happily married for thirty years. Just send $1 to Sorry Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace.

Sorry, got a little mixed up there Tongue
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »