Ladies, have you ever felt not fresh? You know, down there? During your time of the month? Well, that might be due to how long you have been wearing your hygiene products. Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) occurs when a type of bacteria grows and produces toxins that poison your body. Although rare, it can kill you if you do not get treatment.
Anyone can get TSS, with women under the age of 19 being most susceptible. Also, using super absorbent tampons and leaving the tampon in for more than eight hours can increase your risk. The symptoms of TSS are sudden and intense. They include:
- Dizziness, light-headedness, or confusion
- A sunburn-like rash and/or peeling skin
- A high fever and flu-like symptoms
- Headache or muscle aches
- Pale, clammy skin
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stomach cramps
- Sore throat
Sounds terrible right? To reduce the risk of TSS and stay clean and healthy, use tampons with the minimum absorbence needed to control your flow. You can also alternate tampon use with pads, and change your tampon as directed. If you ever think that you’re not feeling well and suspect it may be TSS, please remove your tampon immediately to prevent symptoms from worsening, and seek medical attention immediately.
So girls, even if you’re busy or stressed, make sure you take the time to change your tampon or pad often. And if you’re always on the go, put some pads or tampons in your purse or backpack so that you can change it wherever you are. Also, don’t be afraid to ask a friend or even a stranger for a pad or tampon, we all understand! Besides, when it comes to your health, there’s no time to be embarrassed!
- Toxic shock syndrome from Mayo Clinic by Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research
- Toxic shock syndrome from MedlinePlus by the National Institutes of Health
- Toxic Shock Syndrome from KidsHealth by the Nemours Foundation
Article by Hien Do
Feature Image Source: Wirecutter